Kids are always more likely to eat more when they can help you prepare the meal and it’s even better if they can use their little hands to cook.
Stuffed peppers are a favorite mid week meal for us, as it’s healthy and fairly quick meal to make during the week.
Get your little ones involved by letting them use their hands to mix everything, stuff the peppers and even make mini meatballs. You can adjust the recipe by adding different vegetables to the mixture, using a vegan/vegetarian meat option – the options are endless.
Just have a look the photos below and see how much fun my daughter had preparing the meal. She called herself a mini masterchef and was so proud of making it herself.
The recipe I’ve used is a variation of the one my mum and dad used to make all these years ago, it’s still a big hit today!
- 500 grams mince (beef or pork/beef mix)
- 1 egg
- 50 grams feta or grated cheese (add more or less if you want)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp salt (season to taste)
- 1 tbsp black pepper (season to taste)
- 1 tbsp paprika (season to taste)
- 100 grams rice
- 1 tin tomato paste (small tin)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 170 Fan or Gas Mark 5
- Mix together the mince, cheese, cooked rice, onions, garlic and egg, it’s easiest to do this with your hands.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture, you can use a spoon do this but it’s much easier with your hands.
- Make some mini meatballs out of leftover mince. We kept a bowl of water next to it to dip the hands into, it makes the rolling easier. Brown these meatballs in a frying pan so they don’t loose the texture.
- Melt the butter in a cooking pot and combine it with the flour. Then add the vegetable stock along with the tomato puree and mix it. Bring the mixture to a boil and season it to your taste with paprika, salt and pepper. I put roughly a tbsp of each in.
- Pour it all in the casserole dish where you have the stuffed peppers and meatballs.
- Put it in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Alternatively you can also cook it on the hob in a closed cooking pot for 35-40 min on medium heat.
- You can serve the peppers with rice or on it’s own.
If you like this recipe, why not have a look at my midweek chili recipe, which you can find here!